Monday, October 28, 2013

A class with Helena Tang Lim

Sometimes it is good to be a "student" in a class.

For the last few years I have done a workshop with international designers when they visit to teach at The Melbourne Bead Expo, run by The Bead Society of Victoria.

I have met Marcia DeCoster, Melanie Potter and this year I met Helena Tang Lim.

Helena has been a beader for 20 years, coming from a background making traditional Chinese beaded shoes, which today sell for $1000.00 each. An amazing designer whose designs, colour palette, layout and originality I really admire. Also a big lover of Swarovski montees I learnt the difference between a 'Rose' montee and a 'chaton'  montee yesterday.  One is never too old to learn.

Helena and I formed a Facebook friendship over the last couple of years, sharing information and commenting on each other's work. Yesterday, meeting Helena in person, was like catching up with an old friend, even though it was the first time we had met. That is something I really love about Facebook.

Yesterday's class was small in numbers and I had met 4 of the 5 ladies before.  Helena shared information in a very relaxed manner, making the class seem effortless.

I was very fortunate to see Helena's Battle of the Beadsmith 2012 piece - the one with the beetle wings -  along with another she had done and changed her mind about.

Very unique creations with a charming mix of embroidery and bead-weaving. I enjoyed being surprised seeing where she placed her clasps, most original. 

Below is the Lady Madeleine's necklace centrepiece I learnt to make in class. I finished the bale part this morning. Now I need to make the rope and attach it.

If you ever get the chance to meet and learn from Helena do not hesitate. 
It is a great experience I am very glad to have had.

1 comment:

  1. Green with envy here. That's a lovely piece of beaded art you made in class.

    ReplyDelete